Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Brave New World - Church Camp (29.3.13 - 1.4.13)

Just arrived from a church camp that was held on the 29th of March and ended on April Fool's day. I am currently in the main library intending to be studious but ended up spending plenty of hours uploading photos on facebook and now I am blogging this post right now. Anyway, let's start babbling about the most awesome church camp I have ever joined.

29.3.13

I woke up at 6-ish in the morning and quickly hit the shower and other necessary actions in the toilet. Then, read the bible, and had breakfast. Cim was still asleep. And at around 7 past 5, we made our move to gate 14 to meet up with the other Focus members. On our way there, I suddenly remembered that I had left one of the toast lying on the toaster untouched. I was pretty worried that when I reached home from camp there was going to be molds on the toast.

After a while, our bus finally arrived and we went in. Sat at the back with the other Indo members. Ci Yenli gave me a banana muffin which was super scrumptious!

I think it was a one hour trip to Port Hacking but still people were falling asleep on our way there.

Ci Tika, Ci Lily and me. Shine bright like a diamond. HAHA

Sherly, Ci Yenli, Sapi, Ci Copin dozing off

ci copin, sapi, cim, ci tika, ci lily

monthy dozed off

diana too

andrew...

bus photo group

when we almost had reached our destination, I glanced back and so ci Lily falling asleep. LOL
 I was a bit nauseated in the bus, I was feeling so drowsy. Maybe that was because I kept on glancing at the back talking to the back seaters. I could not sleep though. But thankfully, we arrived at Port Hacking safe and sound.

We had to register ourselves first to obtain our id cards and our Brave New World Booklet.

Apparently, it was not only us Indos who went there. There were cantos, mandos, and international focus members too with us. It was really fun.

my id card. there is also the schedule for our chores

lining up to register ourselves.

Boyo and ci fen2
After registering, we were still waiting for the combination code for our respective cabin rooms. We put our loads of baggages in the dining room/kitchen. Took photos too to kill time.

taking photo (us girls only)

the guys were playing basketball.

ko Foeng and ko Danju

Ci Icing, me, Ci Grid, Ci Copin, Sapi and Cim

plus Diana

epic ugly photo

outside
 I was about to ask the others whether they wanted to take a photo near the lake, but by the time I asked this, we were all called to gather in the dining hall as there was someone reading out the combination code. I got cabin 6 along with my other roomies: Diana, Ci Fefe, Ci Copin and Ci Fen2. Our room is connected to cabin 5: Cim, Ci Yenli, Ci Icing, Ci Natalia and Ci Nadya. All 10 of us shared one bathroom.

My room combination was 128522.. HAHA.. Just for keepsake I am sharing this with all of you. LOL.

All of us quickly put our belongings to the room and began to pick out which bed we were going to be sleeping on for the next 3 nights. I picked up the upper bunk bed because I kept on feeling paranoid whenever I slept on the lower bunk. I am worried that if something happened, I would be sandwiched between the upper bed and the bed I was sleeping on.

cabin 6! Ci Fefe and Ci Fen2 were still outside then.
Went out and there was morning tea! Fruits and brownies were served. I was having such an awful cough and so I decided to avoid the brownies. However, despite consuming fruits, I went on drinking water instead (I presume, I forgot) maybe, I did nothing perhaps..

fruits and brownies
playing Bang! 

Ci Icing went up on stage to read out a chapter from the Bible
 Afterwards, there was a Bible talk which was presented by Reverend Josh.

The first bible talk was entitled "The Trajectory". Taken from the book of Isaiah chapter 39. History is to be in fact HIStory (His story). God is the script writer of the movie and he is the only one that can predicts and controls nature. His word is true and powerful. Everything is according to plan and he is the one that we should trust. The three hints of life involves the 3 Js: Jerusalem, Jesus and Judgement (The Day of The Lord). We should do everything that pleases him not the ones that pleases us and are an abomination in His eyes.

Lunch that day was sandwiches! I ate two sandwiches. I was such a glutton.

Ci Frida, Kriska, Ci Tika, Ci Lily, Ci Grid, Kristel serving the sandwiches.
bon apetit!
At 2, there was an outdoor game. First was a game of throwing a water balloon and catching it with a cloth. I don't know what the specific name for that game is. My group was with Ko Foeng, Ci Juli, and Tomas. Unexpectedly we actually won. HUAHAHAA..


untoro and ko sui

Cim and I wore twin rilakumma shirts!
...
After that game, there was another game called Captain's Ball (if I was not mistaken) in which members should throw a ball to their team members to reach to its goal team. I actually sucked at this. I am so not an active type of person. I hated to run. I only stood there and gazed. Suddenly there was one quick moment that somebody passed me the ball and I quickly passed it to my team member. Unfortunately, I think I panicked or something and threw the ball right at Chris's nose! He was shocked and was shouting "I am your teammate"! I felt dumbfounded and was saying sorry all the time! His nose turned red! argh, I felt so guilty. It was only the first day and I had injured someone. Way to go me. After a while of more playing, I gave up suddenly and decided to sit down with Ci Tika, Ci Copin and Kristel.

The four of us went around to take photos.









Then after a while we went back to the field and there was another accident. Boyo and Foeng fell down and hurt each other.

During afternoon tea, Ci Tika, Foeng, Ci Copin, Cim and I talked together at a bench.


both eating lemon biscuits.

Ci Copin with her bowl of ramyun

I was still coughing back then
Later on during the evening (at 4-ish I guess), we played a game called Dixit! A picture game! It was a ball of fun!

Ci Icing, Cim, Sapi, Kriska, Ci Copin

Ci Hilda was teaching us how to play.. HAHA
Then there was dinner! Ate lasagna and ice cream! I should have not eaten the ice cream cos it might worsen my cough, but who cares, I need dessert.

lasagna in such a generous amount! I felt so full after finishing it!
Kiel and ko Sui

Untoro and ci Tika

ko SUI

ko Freddie

ice cream!
Later on there was a bible study which was taken from the book of Isaiah chapter 6. Ci Hilda began the bible study by making us play a game first. We had to choose two numbers and each of this number had a specific question for it. It was quite enjoyable. Bible study was about God commanding Isaiah to declare to the people that judgement was near and those who accepted the news would be blessed and those who refused would have a tough time in accepting. However, there shall be a holy seed from a burned stump, meaning a new hope. As judgement is necessary for salvation.

we should draw 6 different pictures of this chapter in pairs.

a treat that was mistaken to be a huge macaroon. it tastes like kue sagu  
Subsequently, there was a bonfire after bible study. It was a good thing that me and cim brought our chickie marshmallows with us. We had been tempted to open this up from the day we bought it. We were saving it for easter. Nonetheless, the marshmallows were opened anyway before easter had even arrived. No worries then, we ate it during Good Friday. Speaking of which! Happy Good Friday!


making smores with the little chick marshmallows



Ci Grid trying to photobomb the others, my camera was too slow and she ended up being the only one on this photo
There was a game hosted by Ko Rusmin about him losing his keys and each group had to be fast in reacting to his question. It is a bit hard describing this game verbally here. But it was fun anyway. And again, I couldn't stop coughing and was being a disturbance to men as well as nature being.

The game was followed by another game, involving a body action which would result in the anticlockwise and clockwise turn of the circle we made. Sa and Bunsa. The losers of the game had to be punished. Well, I ended up losing. The losers of the night were Me, Cim, Ci Tika (The Tika family as Ci Tika presume), Ci Copin and Ko Danju. We were told to sing the Indonesia Raya (Indonesia's National Anthem) with one of our legs raised in an attention pose (siap gerak pose, you know what this means, Indonesians). Not to forget, our conductor, Ko Freddie was hilarious.

group night photo. there were more actually but I didn't upload here. 
Done with the bonfire, we all went back home. On the other hand, Kriska, me and Diana stayed in the dining hall to wait for Chris and Foeng to tell us a ghost story that they had promised they would tell in the bonfire. Being so ecstatic hearing about ghost stories, the stories they told were not scary at all. Pretty disappointed. However, later on, Boyo told his story and I practically had goosebumps everywhere. In addition to this, later that night, when I was showering, I was too afraid to shut my eyes closed when washing my hair which was troublesome for me. err...

30.3.13

Pancakes for breakfast and a bit of cold cereal too. 

Chris, Ci Copin

ci fen2. 

Ci lily
Most of them were eating ramyun after finishing their pancakes. I could no longer consume anymore so I restrained myself.

After breakfast, there was a morning bible study! It was taken from Isaiah 40. There was another game to ice break the environment. Ci Hilda asked each one of us to pick a colour from the following list: blue, green, pink, white. And behind these colours there will be a task for us to do. Kristel and I chose green; Diana chose blue; Ci Fefe chose pink; Kriska chose white. Ci Hilda was about to back off from not choosing any colour but we insisted sternly that she should choose something! hauahhahhaa.. Here we go with all the tasks:

Pink- Tell the most embarrassing story of your life
White- Chicken dance
Blue- Sing a verse of your favourite song
and lucky Green for me and Kristel was we should say I love you along with the heart body language to another bible study group.

Kristel and I had to pass the wet dew grass fields with racoon droppings everywhere to reach to another group's place, Ko Rusmin's group.

it is still remained unknown who took this photo.
Proceeding to bible study from Isaiah 40. From this chapter, like Israel, we would keep on forgetting how powerful and caring He is no matter how many times God has reminded us. As we look to the New Testament, we see that Isaiah's prophecy has been fulfilled. In Luke 3:16-17, God has come to baptise us with the Holy Spirit and Fire. God will come for the second time. And the act of judgement has not been completed yet. Some will be burnt and some will be saved. Therefore, we should prepare ourselves and prepare His way.

saw this reptile (Monthy told me it was a komodo) 

Subsequently, there was morning tea, followed by a seminar which was brought by Charles in the dining hall. The seminar was entitled The Suffering Servant. Taken from Isaiah 52:13 - 53:12. In summary of the two hour seminar, Jesus is the most perfect sacrifice to free mankind from eternal death.  He has done no deceit and violence (Isaiah 53:7-9) and yet he replaced us and took the punishment on behalf of us (Isaiah 53:4-6). God's will to the suffering servant was to crush him to bear our iniquities (Isaiah 53:6). Moreover, Isaiah's prophecy was shown to be true once more in the new testaments. All humans are sinful and have been left astray and thanks to the Lord's love and grace for us all, we are all saved.


Then there was lunch! It was my cabin's turn to serve lunch. There were lamb chops something. It was delicious but then the aftertaste of the lamb was indecent. What do you expect from lamb being not stinky.

It was absolute fun serving lunch!

There was free time once more after lunch. I think I might have played a board game. I forgot. Totally blank. Perhaps, taboo I guess? Fun game! I still could not forget the descriptions Gosali gave for Cornet was equivalent to maling and spam. Cornet in the taboo card actually meant an instrument. Not to forget ci Yenli's descriptions too about pads. She was giving listing hamsters, dogs, cats, birds in order for her group member to call out pets which sounds similar to pads. Clever move indeed.

At around 3:30-ish, Ci Fen2, Ci Lily, Kriska and me went with Ci Lina to Telfard (another campsite) to go for our elective talks. I chose the talk on How Do We Know Jesus Is Really True. It was a good talk actually. I coughed a lot too. Jesus is really true because by the fact of four different writers of the four different gospels of the new testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), they all wrote the same incident but in a different way, all had their distinct way of explanation. If Jesus was a fake, these four writers would write something similar in the selection of vocabulary or even the same style of writing. However, this did not happen and Jesus is really true. Furthermore, a non-Christian historian named Tacitus also wrote that there was once a man named Chrestus (which sounds like Christus), that was executed by Pontius Pilate. In addition to this, Pliny also wrote that there was also a group called the Christians gathering together doing church service. Hence, Jesus is really true!

It was quite a distant from Chaldercot to Telfard. It was a good thing that Ci Lina drove us there. Thank you again Ci Lina! Oh yeah, Andrew and Sherly went there too.

At 6, dinner was served!

Boyo, Tomas and Foeng were serving us
this was superb!

the dessert was really sweet and was unforgettable! 
After dinner, Cim's cabin helped in cleaning up the dining hall. And then we proceeded to another bible talk! It was entitled Rise of the Servant. God is personally angry at his people. We are not just sinful but also we are under God's anger. However, with God's grace, he sent his loyal servant to bear our iniquities. There is still hope for us. He brings forth justice and righteousness to the nation. God is the light of the world (Isaiah 49:6). His chastisement brought us to peace. Hence, we shall praise no other name other than our Lord, Jesus Christ.

There was supper and I drank a glass of lemonade which was a silly thing to do as it only contained sugar. This made me unable to sleep. Before going to sleep, my roomies and I chatted for a while. Bonding time.

31.3.13

I could not believe that I had experienced the worst sleep ever. I could not sleep at all due to all the coughs. I felt really bad for all my roommates. They must have been so annoyed by my loud dry in-vain coughs. It was such a nuisance. I, myself, found it really distracting.

I woke up at 15 minutes to 7 and hurriedly went with Ci Copin to catch up with the others to witness sunrise at Port Hacking. I didn't even got the time to take a shower, brush teeth or even combed my hair. My hair was a super mess. I looked like literally someone who had just woken up from sleep. I was anyway. urgh, what I am talking about.

So there we were, waiting for the sun. However, to our bad luck, it was a cloudy morning and we couldn't see the sunrise. All we saw were a couple of airplanes flying by.We took photos anyway.

I was feeling unwell. I had a tingling down my throat that I should cough but I couldn't cough! That sucks. ARGH. Moreover, I am so not a morning person.

great view

the calm lake

Ci Lily 
kriska, ci tika, me, ci lily, cim, ci copin, ci natalia, ci fen2
urgh my hair.. dfghjkl

Ci fen2

Ko Danju and Ci Copin

the same couple again, but on a sailboat this time

ci nadya ci tika, cim, me, ci copin, ci lily, ci fen2

tomas.. hahaha..
Speaking of which, that day was Easter Day. Happy Easter! This year Easter was so different from my previous easters. I couldn't believe that I celebrated easter during camp. I usually celebrate it at church with my family.

With no sign of sunrise, I went back to my room and decided to shower up and prepared myself before bible study and breakfast started. Breakfast was bacon and eggs! Super yummy! I had been craving for bacon since a very long time! It tasted bombastic on my taste buds.

Bible study for that day was taken from Isaiah 61. This chapter has an interconnection with Luke 4:16-21. In Luke, Jesus begins his ministry by reading Isaiah 61:1-2a. "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour and the day of vengeance of our God;". In relation this, there were 3 distinct voices written in Isaiah 61, which meant that the first voice was probably spoken by Jesus. Not to mention, Jesus has done so many miracles as written in Luke 5:17-26, Luke 5:12-26, Luke 7:11-17 and Luke 7:18-23, healing the paralytic, healing a person suffering from leprosy raises a widow's son and healing even more people respectively. This shows that Jesus is more than quoting from Isaiah, he actually has fulfilled all these promises. Therefore, from this we know that his actions and words do not contradict. These miracles act as a purpose to proof that He is chosen by God - "to proclaim the year of the Lord's favour". In the 50th year which is known as the Year of the Jubilee, it is also known as the year of the Lord's favour.

The three distinct voices were Jesus (verse 1-7),  Lord (verse 8-9) and the response from men to the Lord (10-11). As discussed from the above paragraph, we know what voice 1 is telling us. Voice 2 tells us about the Lord loving justice, and faithfulness. He hates robbery and wrong. While voice 3 tells us that men rejoice and praise the Lord for being blessed and saved by the Lord.

During reflection time, I have come to be strengthen once more that God is loving, justice and will always keep his promise till the end of time. I should be more loyal and believe in him more.

It was time for morning tea! We were served with Australian scones! It was my first time trying scone! What a delight it was!

A talk began at 11. The title of the Bible Talk was The Utopian Dream. Utopian can be described as a place where everything is good. There is a relationship between two books in the bible: Isaiah and Revelation. There will be new heavens and a new earth after the Lord's second coming. Those who do not redeem themselves shall be put to an eternal fire (Matthew 18:8-9) where "worms do not die and the fire will not quench" (Mark 9:47-48). About 11 over 12 references of Hell is represented by Jesus himself in the bible. This actually surprised me a lot. I now know that God should be taken seriously. This has opened my eyes not to fool around anymore in front of God's eyes. Thus we should spread the news to let more beloved friends and relatives to know about Jesus so that we will meet again in heaven. This is because, from heaven, we could still look upon them who are in hell (Isaiah 66:24). However, our closed ones will always be rebels of God. Moreover, in heaven, we will love God's glory even more than our closed ones. Broadcast the good news before it's too late.

Then there was lunch, free time and an afternoon tea. That day's afternoon tea was cookies! I am without a doubt a cookie monster! I ate unconsciously without realising that I could worsen my cough.

I played dixit and bang!. I didn't survive long in playing bang. I was killed after a few turns. err..

Cim, Ci Hilda, Ci Fefe and I discussed about what questions we would ask during the question and answer session that would start after dinner.

At 4, there was another elective! I chose Pride on Women that day which was located on Deer Park Meeting room. Went there with Ci Fen2, Sherly, Ci Natalia. According to Isaiah 3:16- 4:1, women those days were so haughty. They would beautify themselves to attract men. There was a ratio of 7:1 of women to men. It is okay to want beauty but only with the intentions of glorifying the Lord not for personal benefit. God wants women to have beautiful action for the Lord (Mark 14:3-9); women that fears in God conquer beauty and charm (Proverbs 31:10-31); respectful and pure conduct, quiet spirit (1 Peter 3:1-8); respectable apparel, self control, not extravagant, modest, proper, and those who profess godliness (1Timothy 2:8-15). In addition to this, God created women after men to set an authority. Likewise, Christ has authority over man, and God over Christ. It is in an orderly manner with God being the head. God rules everything and submission builds relationship and express honour.

After elective there was dinner.

dinner! tastes like soto for some reason
 It was cabin 6's turn to clean up after. It was my first time vacuuming with a large vacuum. hahaha.. It was so much better than vacuuming with a small one as you don't have to bend that much.

As mentioned above, after dinner, there was a question and answer session! Most of the questions relate to relationship. It was an abomination in God's eyes to date someone Gentile. Another point that I found interesting was about finding the perfect soulmate out there. Apparently, it is up to us to find our own soulmate and in the wedding altar when both of you are exchanging vows, it is by then that he/she becomes your soulmate.

Then there was supper and bedtime! Before bedtime, I chatted in Cim's room with Ci Icing, Ci Yenli. Ci Nadya and Ci Copin. It was a rainy night too.

1.4.13

The last day of the camp seems to be a devastating day for me. I know the word "devastating" is an over exaggeration here. But still, it was the last day of camp and in just a matter of hours, we all would be back to our usual normal life. Like for me, I am back with facing my group enzyme project which is still remained untouched. It is going to be due next week, next lab. I am so doomed.

I woke up really late that day. I was really tired from all the coughing. My tummy felt pain like the cramps you got after doing sit-ups. It was unbearable. Moreover, every time I cough, that pain would definitely be there nudging my tummy.

We had bacon croissants for breakfast. Despite the covered glistening oil, the croissant was a pure delicacy. Eating it was just a guilty pleasure. After breakfast, I went to bible study.

The title of this last bible study on camp was Kingship in Isaiah. Throughout the camp I have found that the book of Isaiah talks about the prophecies that have happened in the new testament of the bible and also that is going to happen soon as the second coming of the judgement occurs. That day's bible study was taken from Isaiah 11, 9 : 2-7. It says that there will be a king born whose name shall be called as Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father and Prince of Peace. He shall rule the eternal kingdom and brings peace on earth. All enemies shall be destroyed and He will strike the wicked. From these, we, servants of this King, or shall I quote from what Ci Fefe said "We are God's mini servants". We should trust in Him, seek Him in any circumstances, obey Him, not be ashamed of His great-fullness and most importantly spread the good news to our closest friends and relatives. Most of the time in our lives, we are tempted to seek other than God for help. Like for instance, we would ask our parents/friends/family or even google. I, myself tend to do this. I should definitely try to change this habit of mine and should seek God all the time. And by knowing God's will and words, I shall be able to please God (1 Thessalonians 4:1-2).

there was a parrot outside of our bible study room. 

group photo!
back: Kriska, Kristel, Diana
Front: Ci Hilda, me and Ci Fefe
We took a photo of our drawings! Too bad the camera is unable to capture the artistic features of the illustrations. LOL.

Kristel's and my super awkward doodle

Took more photos during our last moments at Port Hacking, Charldercot campsite.

Ko Ong and Ci Frida

group photo! 
 At around 10-ish, Ko Feri told us to empty our rooms and put our belongings in the dining hall once more before going to the bible talk which was going to start at 10:45.

The last talk was entitled Trembles at God's Words. This talk opened my eyes that I should tremble, contrite and be humble at his words. We can't box God. He is too great for us, a nobody, to contain him. Moreover, we should not fool him through our religious shows. He can't be fooled. Every actions for him should be done from the heart. God is the director and writer of this movie (our life). He is why we should follow his word. He is the purpose of life and eternity. According to Isaiah 55:9-11, the word of God will not return to him empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve purpose with this. Moreover, in relation to 1 Peter 4:3-4, we shall not be put to shame. That is why we should trust and obey God's words. If your Christianity is just to put on a show, this means that you have no purpose in life.

After the talk, lunch was served. I had the biggest burger ever in my life. I didn't quite got a chance to take a photo of it. But, this burger is so much bigger than a usual whopper you buy from burger king. I was really full endeavouring just half of it. But I sustained in eating all of it which turned out to be a guilty accomplishment.

Then, we cleaned up and waited for the bus to pick us up.

Before going to the bus, we took some photos too. Not to mention, we also thanked Ko Feri for arranging and attaining discipline during camp. Most of the guys suddenly attacked him and hugged him. Pure chaos.

Ko Feri being attacked
got this little black book from ci fen2, ci Nadya, ko Arnold, Ci Copin, sapi, Ci Tika, Ci Yenli, Ci Lily.
Ci Hilda insisted on taking this photo.. --" eerrr..

w/ Diana
aww, love is in the air, ko popo and ci sapi 
Finally, our bus has arrived and we put our belongings inside the bus and entered the bus. So long farewell Port Hacking and Church Camp 2013.

Inside the bus, I couldn't sleep again. This sucks you know for not being able to doze off when everybody in the bus could doze off. 

Untoro sleeping like a boss (arms across his chest)
At first I talked to Diana who was sitting next to me, but then she slept and I started to talk with Ko Feri, Sapi, Cim and Ci Yenli. It was a good thing they were still awake. HAHA.. 

After about an hour of journey back home, we arrived from the place where we started. I hope that everything I have learnt from camp do not come to waste. I should be able to redeem myself and be a better Christian that pleases my awesome God, Jesus Christ! In addition to this, I am hoping that all those of you have read this blog post feels blessed of having a bit of a glimpse of a recap of what I did and learnt during camp. God bless you all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top