Friday, March 2, 2012

Just Another Ghost Story


           “Bloody Mary”, after hearing this name, you would most probably remember the urban legend your friend or relative have told you about or you might have encountered this name before in a book or the internet. This legend has spread across the world confusing people especially teenagers. Most of the courageous one would dare themselves to summon the ghost to find out whether the legend is true or it is just another ghost story to spook people.
            Summoning “Bloody Mary” is quite easy. All you need is a candle, a mirror and a dark room. First of all, dim the lights (a dark room is quite preferable). Second of all, light up the candle. Lastly, call out “Bloody Mary” three times in front of the mirror and you will see Bloody Mary herself on the mirror. If she has not appeared, try to twirl around three times.
            Like any other curious peers, I have once been tempted to seek the truth beneath the Bloody Mary legend. The idea of trying to summon her kept haunting me. Every time I looked at a mirror, I would have this voice ringing inside my head saying, “Seek the truth, try, it won’t bite, experience something unforgettable”. I tried to withstand the temptation though but day after day the desire of revealing the truth became stronger. In the end I was weak and decided to face my fear and dared myself to do it.   
            It was on the weekend that I had gathered my courage and decided to invite my best friend, Dennise, over to spend the night. Moreover, I was home alone and this was a great timing for daring actions. Luckily, she accepted my invitation. After she had arrived, I told her about my plan on calling upon the famous Bloody Mary. And guess what? Dennise who is the not-so-adventurous type of girl was dumbfounded by my bizarre idea. She was staring at me with disgust. Her small narrow eyes were suddenly wide opened and it was the first time I had seen her eyes popping that big.  After her astounded look, she started to lecture me for coming up with the most craziest idea ever.
“You are completely delusional! You know that if such thing existed and if she really did appear, something might go wrong”, Dennise shouted at me with her high shrieking voice which was terribly annoying. In addition, she was packing her stuffs and was about to call her mother to pick her up from here.
“Yes I know, but I just want to prove the legend. Haven’t I told you about me being haunted by this idea? I just can’t stand the haunting anymore. The only way to end it is by doing it. Please accompany me? You are my best friend since middle school. You are the only one that understands me to the fullest”, I pleaded while holding back my tears.
            Dennise took pity on me and agreed to accompany me.  Together we both prepared the things needed for the summoning. We decided to do it in the main hallway as it was nearest to the entrance door and there was a huge mirror there. Both Dennise and I were planning to document the whole process. So while I was summoning, Dennise would be holding the video camera to capture the whole scene.
            It was time for action. By the time, Dennise was getting the camera ready and I began to light up the candle in front of the mirror, there was a heavy storm. The situation really got worse with the lightning striking and the thunder grumbling. This would be the most intense situation I had ever felt in my life. Despite the bad weather and my heart throbbing real fast, I dimmed the lights and chanted the magic words three times.  Nothing happened. I tried twirling around three times, but still, nothing happened. With this I made a conclusion that the legend was false and so I blew the candle out and switched on the lights.
            Dennise and I felt so relieved after finding out that the legend was actually a myth. After going through the uneasy and uncomfortable process of summoning the Bloody Mary, we decided to just sleep. Furthermore, we could not wait to tell our friends about this amazing yet surreal experience and to show them the video tape.
            On Monday, I brought my video camera to school and showed my terrifying adventure to my other classmates telling them that the legend was unreal. I started the video and to my disbelief there was a bloody figure on the mirror……………………
 ENG 1050  ASSIGNMENT 3-  DIFFERENT GENRES

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top