Thursday, July 25, 2013

Walk up (24/7 - 26/7)

Focus Indonesian Church was having a walkup to hand out flyers to Indonesian newcomers in search of a church while still being a brand new settler in Sydney.


Despite the fact that these three days being an orientation day, there were very little people coming to uni. The university was practically deserted.

However, on the second day, it was more of a crowder event because there was booths opening in the Scientia Building. The balloons were the hint of the location.

Walking up to people was a struggle at first. It was challenging to approach people and asking them whether they were Indonesian or not, then proceeding in telling about the presence of Focus Indonesian in UNSW campus and inviting them to a welcoming event that is happening on the 2nd of August.

scientia building is that building right there. 
For break time, Tomas, Andrew, Ko Freddy and I went to eat at Petaling Street Malaysian restaurant.




Then we continued on searching for more Indos.


There was a moment, where there was a Psychology student doing her honour year who approached Tomas, Cim and I. She was asking us whether we wanted to take part in an experiment she was doing. I immediately without hesitation agreed because she said that she would pay 10 bucks for it. And it only took 30 minutes top.

The experiment I needed to do was press 2 keys on the keyboard, D and H. Each key represents chips or water. First part of the experiment, I was asked how much I want to drink water and want to eat chips. Then at midpoint, I was told to drink 3 glasses of water which literally decreased my want of drinking water. Moreover, I was shown aversive pictures, and had to choose which one was more gruesome. I had to squint my eyes while doing it because I was afraid I would get traumatised by the images. But after a while, I got used to the repeating images and had my eyes wide open. The psychology student told me that the aversive pictures were just used to boost some part of my nerve if I am not mistaken. Then, for the reward, I got 10 bucks, a bottle of water and a bag of chips. Finally! I got a bottle of water!


This is probably my first time experiencing a research participation. The awkward thing was I was talking about this to Andrew previously. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top