Saturday, October 5, 2013

International Fleet Review

I overslept and missed DOI today. I'm such heavy sleeper. I kept on snoozing my alarm clock. Anyway, me and a bunch of friends agreed to see the International Fleet Review today! It's the 100th anniversary of the first entry of the Royal Australian Navy's Fleet into Sydney. There will be a fleet of ship parade and a fireworks too all for the commemoration.

Basically I planned that after joining the prayer meet, I would straightaway go to the city and meet Raymond and the others in the botanical garden. But, because of waking up late, I didn't even wake up. I woke up at around 1. So I quickly grabbed lunch and showered and just headed to the nearest bus stop. But before then I had to do some research on how to go to the place of destination. I don't want to end up getting lost.

So I got a text that we were all meeting at Mrs Macquire's Chair. I googled it up and I got the route all sort up in my gps, so off I went. It was all going smoothly until the part I had reached the last bus stop and the driver told all passengers had to go down. Somehow, I sensed that the driver was talking to me, giving me directions on which way to go. She was really nice. But then again, I couldn't figure out what she was saying, and I just nodded and said thank you. Grr, great job hearing system.

According, to my GPS, I had to walk about 20 minutes to reach the destination and finding Macquire St at the first place would be a great hint of knowing that I was in the right track. However, I couldn't find it. I was walking around the city. Again, being a solo explorer. It was pretty nice at the first place. I passed by some giant snails, the parliament house, some statues, St Mary's Cathedral (should have taken a photo of this, the building is GORGEOUS), and some parks. It was fun but then I grew tired.

Up till the point that I went on the wrong track to a wharf, and suddenly I saw a plank showing "Kings Cross". Oops, Kings Cross, I've heard tons of stories about this place. My mom warned me before it was a dangerous place. But, fortunately the sun was still out, and it was not dark so I hurried back and turned around. Oh yeah, I went to a place called Wooloomooloo too. I don't know what that is but, I was quite far away from the destination when I looked at the google map.

Along the way, I saw some ships too so it was okay.


the wharf


Then, I finally got enlightened and found Macquire Street at last! But when I wanted to go inside the Royal Botanical Garden, it was closed! I was about to give up, and I was just planning in my head that I would just go into the NSW Public Library and waited for my friends there or even better just strolling around inside the building where there is aircon. Just as I was about to lose hope, and was about to cross the road, I saw someone looking like Earl. It was EARL! I called him out, and then I saw Raymond, Ci Karlina and Nicole. What a COINCIDENCE! I was overjoyed and super relieved. I was boiling and sweating.


roads closed for pedestrians 

awesome suits. why would I take that kid's yawning face too in the picture. errr


So along with the group, we started to pick up a spot before it was closed again like the Royal Botanical Garden. And guess what, we all headed to the place that I had been going back and forth for 3 times. I couldn't believe that the place was under my nose this whole time. I should have just followed my instincts next time!

When we got in, I was parch and I bought a frozen coca cola which was stupendously steep. But I was too tired and thirsty.


Ci Karlina bought some chips

nicole bought pizza

just look at the crowd


look at the line






sunset


probably the most beautiful sunset I have seen in my life

I am in love with the candy-coloured sky


the tree is just blocking the view
We had to wait for 3 hours before 7:40 pm in which the fireworks will start. We spent the time playing cards with a dash of truth or dare. Then, playing ABC lima dasar again, chopstick, ayam, and all other indonesian traditional games that require only your hand and nothing else. Up till the point, we didn't know what to play next.

The fireworks were SPECTACULAR. Too bad, I couldn't capture anything with my camera other than blurry images. I decided to record it but that too was not that "spectacular". It was a great show after all. The crowd was shouting at one another to "sit down", but the one standing up shouted back "stand up you lazy people". It was hectic.

After the 30 minutes show, we all went home, it was too crowded and we walked slowly too. Nicole said "it feels like China". I, on the other hand, had in mind what the Israelites would feel like when they were in exodus from Egypt.

I knew from that point that I might get another strike of passing my bedcheck but I had to eat, I felt tired and hungry. We at Lyn Restaurant. I love Chinese Food!

soft shell crab! 

dumplings

pork. too oily
 There was one more dish, sth tofu.

I decided to text my RA telling them that I would be late. I was late for an hour and I got reported thereafter. -___- oh well. All in all, it was a G---RRRREEEAAATT day!

2 comments:

Back To Top