Friday, April 10, 2015

Student Diagnostic Unit (7/4 - 10/4)

Yep after the 3.5 days camp, I went straight back to Uni for another great never-before been experienced lab work. This is for the Bacteria and Disease course. We had to come from 9 am and finishes around 6pm or maybe earlier. Most of the time, I finished earlier though.

The first day was incredibly hectic. I have never used that many agars before. And the swabs we were using came from real patients from the Prince of Wales Hospital which was cool and pretty gruesome to the nostrils. The fecal was a major smack to my olfactory nerves. We even had to do a wetprep which was putting the fecal substance to a glass slide and covering it with a cover slip and it was quite revolting.

Basically I was given 2 different sets of throat, wound, and fecal swabs during the 4 days. And I had to identify the bacteria causing the infection and disease of the patient. I also got a urine sample as well which contained yeast which was amazing since the colonies have an aquamarine colour. They are so pretty.

In the end, I actually enjoyed the lab, it was very interesting. Lol, this is true though I didn't make up the last sentence up just to make a good outcome for this post. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top